Director of Quality, Risk and Education - Requisition # 1137
|Director of Quality, Risk and Education
|Admin and Support
|Starting at $41.00 to $46.00 per hour
|40 hours per week currently scheduled Monday to Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm (some flexibility in hours and days required as there will be some evening and weekend work and on-call rotation).
|March 9, 2023
|Toronto, Barrie and London, Ontario
|March 17, 2023 11:59 pm
To apply click below to go to our job postings database.
Who We Are
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. Broadview Village has 40+ years of providing outstanding support to adults with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
At Broadview Village we are committed to living as an inclusive organizational culture by:
- Purposefully cultivating and promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion of all persons regardless of their differences
- Not accepting any discrimination, intolerance or inequitable treatment and committing to working together to combat these actions wherever they may be found
- Valuing the unique differences inherent in all of us
- Gaining inspiration and support through the collective voices and actions of all of us
Why Join our Team?
By becoming a staff member with The Salvation Army, you will:
- Enjoy a flexible schedule
- Work within an employee culture that values career development through succession planning, skills-based training and internal mentorship.
- Maintain your health and well-being with a corporate membership discount to Goodlife Fitness
- Have access to various employer-paid training and tuition assistance programs
- Benefit from employee programs for short and long-term disability, RRSP contributions and employee and family assistance plans
- Be recognized for your valued contribution by our employee recognition and celebration programs
- Benefit from Leaders who have adopted the Servant Leadership model “we are here to support you”.
- Be a part of setting trends in a focused, highly collaborative and diverse work culture
- Take pride in making a meaningful and impactful difference in the lives of those we serve
- Nurture a passion for working with vulnerable people
- “… love what you do and do what you love”
About the Role:
We are currently hiring a Full-Time Director of Quality, Risk and Education. This position reports to the Executive Director and is currently assigned to work at The Village (Toronto, Barrie and London, Ontario). This is a full-time position that works 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, 8 am – 4:30 pm. Some flexibility in hours and days is required as there will be some evening and weekend work and on-call rotation. (Driving between sites will be required)
The Director of Quality, Risk and Education (DQRE) is responsible for the planning, directing, and leading activities that support the efficiencies of The Village team and the safe and effective delivery of care to residents/participants/clients. This role is also responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of ongoing educational supports to all staff and volunteers of The Village. Lastly, this position is responsible for the ongoing implementation and development of the Quality Program as Chair of The Village Quality Council. This person participates as a member of the agency’s Senior Leadership Team under the direct supervision of the Executive Director.
The DQRE is required to perform their duties in a manner consistent with The Salvation Army Village core values and ethics, ensure resident/participant safety, and demonstrate customer service excellence. The DQRE is also responsible for liaising, at an organizational level, with external agencies/consultants including: clinical outreach team, pharmacy, laboratories, local community colleges, Toronto CCAC, physicians, and other health care services and providers including acute and long-term care.
- Assists in developing the purpose, philosophy, and long-term and annual strategic planning in support of the mission of Village and in accordance with existing legislative and regulatory requirements and professional standards of practice.
- Identifies and implements best practices and strives for continual improvement and is a strategic partner with the Senior Leadership Team.
- Participates as a member of the Senior Leadership Team in planning, implementation and evaluation of facility-wide quality improvement/risk management activities, documentation and education.
- Ensures that the daily facility operations support the goals and objectives, policies, standards and procedures set by the program and are in accordance with MCSS/ MOHLTC standards, policies and legislation as it relates to CQI.
- Develops, implements, interprets and reviews standards, policies and procedures in support of the Village’s Mission and in accordance with existing legislative and regulatory requirements and professional standards of practice.
- Performs investigations with the support of THQ personnel related to abuse allegations.
- Develops reports and proposals for submission to government regulatory funding bodies.
- Ensures regular file audits are conducted and makes recommendations to ensure compliance with all legislative, regulatory and The Village requirements.
- Remains on-site during declared emergencies and assists in ensuring the safety of residents/participants and staff (i.e. flood, ice storm, fires).
- May assume the responsibilities of the Executive Director in their absence.
- Participates in internal meetings as assigned and may be required to attend external-related organizations and meetings as a representative of the agency.
- Member of the Senior Leadership Team, Quality Council and Community Advisory Council.
- Has direct input in the development, implementation and evaluation of quality improvement, risk management, infection control, and health and safety activities within the Village.
- In collaboration with the Director of Employee Relations, oversees the development and implementation of an agency-wide and site-specific orientation for new employees and the provision of in-services for ongoing education and training of all staff.
- Analyzes monthly statistical reports.
- Responsible for collaborating with the ED in establishing standards of practice and care consistent with the professional disciplines and regulations under applicable legislation.
- Assures the development and implementation of individualized care plans that are coordinated with all members of the Interdisciplinary Team.
- Adheres to Village’s Vision, Mission, and Values
- Manages the Learning and Development Coordinator, Senior Manager – Quality and other allied health professionals
- Leads the Continuous Quality Improvement/Risk Management Program and MCSS/LHIN documentation.
- Maintains a safe living and working environment through compliance with policies and procedures, rules and regulations governing facilities’ safety and safety in the workplace.
- Participates in an effective orientation, and performance management process in accordance with The Salvation Army Village standards for all employees
- Identifies agency’s cross-departmental learning needs and in cooperation with the Education Committee, the Director of Human Relations and Education Coordinator develops training strategies
- In conjunction with the Director of Employee Relations, supervises, delegates, coaches, motivates, evaluates, recognizes, disciplines and terminates staff in accordance with facility policy and collective agreements (i.e. annual PEAC, attendance management etc.)
- Fosters positive working relationships with the union and employee representatives
- Demonstrates relevant understanding of, and compliance with, legislative knowledge of the Employment Standards Act, Human Rights Act, collective agreement and other applicable legislation as required.
Health and Safety
- Demonstrates understanding of, and compliance with, workers’ responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, WSIB policy and Village’s Health and Safety plans, policies and procedures
- Actively promotes a culture of safety for both residents/participants and staff by participating in safety education and training, by reporting incidents or unsafe situations to the supervisor, and by complying with Village’s safe work procedures
- Attends Health and Safety in-services and taking action to address unsafe conditions and/or procedures, to ensure a healthy and safe work environment.
- Promotes a positive working environment with the service providers and Village
- Maintains positive communication between Village and the community.
Family and Resident/Participant Relations
- Models and fosters an environment of positive customer service when interacting with residents/participants and families.
- May facilitate communication in complex care issues to foster positive resident/participant outcomes as may be required.
- Supports the Senior Leadership Team in establishing and sustaining care in a manner that is resident/participant-centered and fosters evidence-based best practice.
- Manages all programs related to CQI as listed above
- Performs quality of care reviews, Root-Cause analysis and FMEA reviews as needed and appropriate.
- May be asked to carry a cell phone and may be expected to respond to calls as needed
- Usually works in administrative offices but will be expected to travel occasionally between sites (Administrative offices and Residential Homes)
- Work Schedule would normally fall within regular business hours but may be asked to support special events and special projects. Flexibility is required.
- Programs support individuals that may exhibit behavioural issues. Will be required to be trained and certified in NVCI (non-violent crisis intervention and prevention) and First Aid.
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- BScN, current Certificate of Registration as a Registered Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario and or a BSc OT with registration with the College of Occupational Therapy
- Current First Aid and CPR
- NVCI/CPI required within the first 4 weeks.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- 5 years in a leadership role including program planning, education, critical analysis, union, accreditation and budgeting experience.
- Significant experience in developmental services and mental health services
- Strong knowledge of CQI, Lean Management and Change Management
- The successful candidate must be able to provide an acceptable Police Records Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
Skills and Capabilities:
- Demonstrated skill in leadership, including experience with setting and achieving strategy, goals and objectives; budget control, problem-solving, conflict resolution and effective human and fiscal resource management
- Current knowledge of issues and trends including best practices in developmental services and mental health services and best practices in the enhancement of quality of work life
- Knowledge of current quality improvement and risk management concepts and approaches with special emphasis on infection control, behavioral management and medication management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated commitment to a resident/participant-centred leadership style.
- Demonstrated commitment to treating others with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing professional development.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills including the ability to mentor and develop staff
- Knowledge and familiarity with computer operations and software applications, including resident/participant records, and staff scheduling
- Commitment to the care of people with differing abilities
- A collaborative team approach with all managers and staff and creating a working climate that is positive and mutually supportive
- Ability to undergo applicable screening and background checks successfully that are satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion (i.e., The Salvation Army Abuse Registry) and provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening, completed no less than 2 months prior to the date of hire.
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate with CPR, Level C
- Ability to achieve Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certificate upon hire
- A clear vulnerable sector screening, completed no less than 2 months prior to date of hire
- Valid driver’s license an asset, and clean driver’s abstract required
- Ability to successfully complete all mandatory training as required by the agency
- Ability and willingness to develop an understanding and support for the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada and its implications as related to position responsibilities.
In support of our commitment to a healthy and safe workplace and community, The Salvation Army (TSA) has a vaccination requirement for all employees in Canada. The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on the condition of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination, prior to their employment start date. The requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to provincial/territorial human rights legislation. If the candidate is unable to vaccinate for a reason protected by the Human Rights Code, a request for accommodation can be submitted and written proof satisfactory to TSA will be required.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.